Study Abroad Scholarships
(available to ALL students):
Below are some examples of scholarships applicable to study abroad students and also general scholarships for US and international students. Some scholarships have a very early deadline that requires you to fill out the application months or weeks before you have selected a study abroad program, so apply to these scholarships before you start your application. You can apply to as many scholarships as you wish so as you are selecting a program, take a look at the scholarship deadlines.
Please remember if you are conducting your own research on scholarships that are not listed below, make sure that they are legitimate and not scams before providing your information.
National Competitive Scholarships
- Benjamin A. Gilman- Available to US citizen study abroad students who receive a Pell Grant. Recipients are awarded up to $5000 to defray the costs associated with studying abroad. The Gilman is an extremely competitive scholarship that requires an essay and proposal, so, start the application early. For more information please visit the Gilman website. Deadline for Summer 2017 & Fall 2017/AY 2017-2018 is March 7th, 2017. *Please contact CGE for assistance with this scholarship!*
- David L. Boren Undergraduate Scholarship- Available to all study abroad students studying abroad in areas of the world that are critical to U.S. interests and underrepresented in study abroad. In exchange for scholarship funding, all Boren Scholars must agree to the NSEP Service Requirement. Applications are needed almost a year before the actual start of the study abroad program. For more information please visit the Boren Scholarship website. Applications are submitted through the Office of Distinguished Fellowships. Deadline: February 9, 2017 for the 2017-2018 study abroad programs.
- Fund for Education Abroad- Available to all U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. students for programs during summer, fall or spring. Often, students must apply more than a year in advance. There are different types of scholarships so review the website, like the Rainbow Scholarship and the Hiliary Echo Douglas Memorial Scholarship. For more information please visit the Fund for Education Abroad website. Application Deadline: The application process for the 2018-2019 Academic Year (Summer 2018, Fall 2018, Spring 2019) will open on November TBD 2017. It closes on January TBD, 2018.
- Tortuga Backpacks Study Abroad Scholarship- Available to all undergraduate study abroad students who are U.S. citizens. Recipients will be rewarded with $1000 as well as a Tortuga Travel Backpack. For more information, and to fill out the application, please visit the Tortuga website. Deadline for Fall 2017 is May 20, 2017.
- Good College Study Abroad Award-Applications are open to U.S. or Canadian citizens enrolled in an accredited college or university. Award amount is $2,000. A new round of the competition with a different theme will start as soon as the current round finishes. For more information available here. Deadline: November 1, 2017.
- The Intern Group Scholarships for 2017- Applicants can be undergraduate and graduate students. These scholarships are for programs in Madrid, Latin America, Australia, and Hong Kong. Award amount varies. More information is available here. Deadline for Summer/Fall 2017 programs is February 1st 2017.
- ScholarTrips Scholarship-Applicants must be a legal U.S. resident. Applicants will be asked to create a video or essay for this scholarship. Award amount is $2,500 for six winners and $50 Amazon gift cards for 30 runners-up. More information here. Deadline: Applications are open from October 10 to November 10 each year.
- The Study Abroad Journal $500 Scholarship-Open to students enrolled full-time in a U.S. college or university (international students may apply as well). Winner is awarded $500, a journal, and a guide book for Europe. More information here. Deadline: TBD
- FastWeb- General scholarship search engine. Please visit FastWeb website. Application Deadline: Varies
Country/Region Specific Scholarships
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars Scholarships (NSCS)-The National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS) is an honors organization that recognizes and elevates high achievers. NSCS offers a million dollars in scholarships each year to help their members attain their goals and commend them for their outstanding academic excellence as well their leadership and service achievements. Scholarships are only available to active members of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. Please visit NCSC website. Application Deadline: Varies
- King Olav V Norwegian-American Heritage Fund (Norway)-Applicant must have a keen interest in Norwegian heritage or is a Norwegian who demonstrates an interest in American heritage. Awards range from $1,000-$5,000. More information here. Deadline: January 2, 2017.
- Freeman-ASIA Scholarship-Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. Must receive need-based financial aid and have a minimum GPA of 2.8. Award amount earned can be up to $7,000 varying by program. For more information here. Deadline: Spring and AY applications are currently closed. Summer application will open mid-January 2017.
- DAAD Undergraduate Awards (Germany)- Available to undergraduate and graduate students studying in Germany. For more information please visit the DAAD website. Application Deadline: Applications for the academic year 2017/18 are due on January 31, 2017.
- Technical University of Munich (Germany)- Different types of scholarships are available for students attending Munich. Check out Munich website for more information. Application Deadline: Varies
- Hellenic American Scholarship (Greece)- Available to students studying at the American College of Thessaloniki. For more information please visit the ACT website.
- Go Overseas and Education Ireland Scholarships (Ireland)- Go Overseas has partnered up with Education Ireland to award 15 full-tuition scholarships to undergraduate students. More information on the scholarships can be found here. Applications are due March 17, 2017.
- MASA Grants for Jewish Undergraduates (Israel)- MASA enables Jewish youth to spend a semester or a year of study in Israel to help them build a life-long relationship with Israel and a firm commitment to Jewish life. For more information please visit the MASA website.
- ItaliaRail Scholarship- Open to Fall semester students that have been accepted and confirmed participation in Italy study abroad program (having paid deposit to hold place), with at least 3.0 GPA and be on financial aid. Application deadline: TBD.
- National Italian American Foundation Scholarship(s) (Italy)- Several scholarships are available with various application criteria. For more information please visit the NAIF website. The 2016-2017 Scholarship Cycle has officially closed. It will reopen on December 1st, 2016 and close on March 1, 2017.
- Bridging Scholarships for Study Abroad in Japan (Japan)- Available to undergraduate students majoring in any field of study. Japanese language study is not a prerequisite. For more information please visit the Bridging website. Applications for Fall 2017 Deadline: April 11, 2017.
- New Zealand Generation Study Abroad Excellence and Travel Awards (New Zealand) - Available to all students participating on a New Zealand study abroad program. For more details and the application documents please visit the New Zealand Education website. Application Deadline: For programs beginning in February/March 2017 you must apply by 1 December 2016. Programs starting in July 2017 must apply by April 30, 2017.
- Go Overseas Study in New Zealand Scholarship (New Zealand)-Go Overseas is running a 3rd ‘Study in New Zealand scholarship’ on behalf of Education New Zealand and the NZ institutions. This is a full scholarship ($15,000) for US students to study abroad in New Zealand for either spring or fall semester 2017. In addition to the $15,000 scholarship, there are five NZ $1,000 scholarships available for students who select the University of Auckland program. For more information please visit the Go Overseas site. Application Deadline: TBD
- University of Auckland Generation Study Abroad Scholarship (New Zealand)- As a Generation Study Abroad commitment partner, the University of Auckland is giving 100 Study Abroad scholarships of NZ$1,275 per year through our US partner institutions for fee-paying study abroad students. Check with the study abroad office to see if you are eligible. Application Deadline: Varies
- Study Abroad Turkey Scholarship for Minority Students (Turkey)- The Turkish Coalition of American in cooperation with Diversity Abroad offers a grant program to encourage African American, Hispanic/Latino and Native American undergraduate students in the United States to participate in a study abroad program in Turkey. For more information please visit the TCA website. Application Deadline: Varies
- BUTEX Scholarships (UK)- Scholarships are available to US students who have been offered a place as a study abroad or exchange student at a UK University which is a member of BUTEX. For more information please visit the BUTEX website. Application Deadline: Applications of for the Academic year 2017-2018 is June 15, 2017.
- St. Andrew's Society (UK)- Available to students interested in studying at St. Andrews University or Glasgow University. For more information please contact the Center for Global Education.
- British Council- Search engine for scholarships and grants for students who wish to study in the UK. There are many different types of scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students. Some scholarships require more than a year in advance to apply.
Program Specific Scholarships
- The Blakemore Foundation (Asia)- Offers grants for graduates and professionals studying an Asian language at an advanced level. For more information please visit the Blakemore Foundation website. Application deadline: Deadline for applications is December 30, 2016 for 2017 programs.
- CIEE CIC-Partner Scholarships- Available to Rutgers students participating on eligible CIEE study abroad programs. Applications will be released to students upon acceptance.
- CET Scholarships (Czech Republic)- A scholarship application is available inside each student’s online CET study abroad application. For more information please visit the CET website.
Minority/ Interest Groups
- AMIDEAST Education Abroad Scholarships- Available to all students participating in a Center for Global Education/AMIDEAST program. For more information and application instructions please visit the AMIDEAST website.
- Scholarships- Scholarships, grants and internships information for women during their undergraduate and graduate levels. Please visit scholarships website. Application Deadline: Varies
- MIUSA- A list of scholarships available for women. Please visit their website for more information. Application Deadline: Varies
- NAACP- Scholarships for students of color who are members or would like to become a member of NAACP. Please visit NAACP website for more information. Application Deadline: Varies
- National Society of Black Engineers- Scholarships for African-American students pursing engineering who are members or would like to become a member of NSBE. Please visit NSEB website for more information. Application Deadline: Varies
- UNCF- Scholarships for students of color in variety of majors. Please visit UNCF website for more information. Application Deadline: Varies
- Hispanic College and Scholarship Fund (HCF/HSF)- Scholarships are open to undergraduate and graduate students and community college students intending to transfer to a 4-year college. Most of the scholarships were granted to students majoring in business, science, technology, engineering and mathematics. A minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is required. Applicants must also be US citizens or permanent residents. Most awards have deadlines in mid-February, although there are some awards with deadlines as early as mid-November and as late as July 15. Award amounts range from $1,000 to $20,000.have Application deadline varies.
- League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC)- Scholarships amounts are up to $2,000. Applicants must have applied to or be enrolled in a college, university or graduate student (including 2-year colleges and vocational school programs leading to an Associate’s degree). A minimum 3.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale is required for the National Scholastic Achievement Awards, and a minimum 3.25 GPA is required for the Honors Awards. Application varies.
- Gates Millennium Scholarship- Open to African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian Pacific Islander American or Hispanic American who are a citizen, national or legal permanent resident of the United States and receive the Pell Grant. For more information please visit the GMS website. Application deadline varies.
- Point Foundation – The National LGBT Scholarship Fund- Point Foundation is a national, publicly supported, scholarship-granting organization focused on helping LGBTQ students. It seeks to empower promising LGBTQs to achieve their academic and leadership potential. Each year the scholarship ranges from $5,000 to $28,000, more information found here.
- GotChosen- Open to US and international students who are currently in college or who have student loans. No GPA, no essay to apply. You must apply for the GotChosen $1000 Every Month Scholarship each month to be eligible for the current month’s drawing. More scholarships available here. Application deadline: varies
- GoGrad- Guide for Grad students on finances and scholarships for the LGBTQ student community. Application deadline varies.
- Dr. Natalia Gomez Passport Scholarship-Applicants must be US Citizens. Applicants must provide proof of purchase of a U.S. passport (receipt) and/or be ready to study abroad. The award amount is $135, the cost of a fully funded passport. More information here.
- American Association on Health and Disability (AAHD) Scholarship Program- Applicant must be enrolled as a full time in an undergraduate school or be enrolled part time or full time in a graduate school, and have a documented disability and provide documentation of their disability. Applicant must be a US citizen or legal resident living in the US. Preference will be given to students majoring in public health, disability studies, disability research, health promotion or a field related to disability and health. Application deadline: TBD
To learn more about how and when scholarships are applied to your term bill, call 848-932-7787 or write firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MIUSA website for additional scholarships that can be used to study abroad.
**Please come back soon for more scholarships options